Sunday, October 13, 2013

Cookieventure # 1: Scottish Shortbread

Today, I started the challenge to bake all the recipes in the 500 Cookies book as mentioned in my previous post. And to make the choosing a little simpler, I chose the first recipe found in the book - Scottish Shortbread.

I chose this because, since it was the first recipe, I'm guessing it would be the simplest cookie to make. I may have made a cake before, but hey, I need to go back to my basics.


Scottish Shortbread recipe (500 Cookies by Philippa Vanstone)

So shall we get started? :)

I first gathered all the ingredients needed, and tried my best to organize them for picture's sake. :P

Simple ingredients are needed for this cookie

And now going back to business. Let's do this!

As the instructions say, I sifted the all purpose flour and rice flour together. Then, I moved on to creaming the butter and caster sugar.

Thanks to my long-time borrowed Kitchen Aid mixer:
Creaming is no longer a hassle ;)

After creaming the two, I then added the granulated sugar and vanilla extract. Once the cream is well blended, I slowly put in the dry ingredients and mixed them well until it has a dough-like texture. After which it was oven time! :)

After 45 minutes of waiting, it came out as what the book said... Buttery and crumbly. Wohooo! :)

Fresh from the oven

Now, it is time to finish this off with some toppings. Even if the recipe said to just sprinkle it with granulated sugar, I decided to melt some cocoa bar on fresh milk and used this as topping with a dash of confectioner's sugar. Like I said, I like to have my own take on things. Hihi. :)

Chocolate Drizzle

Now for the fun part -  TASTING! It actually tastes like the lengua we used to buy at our local stores. Do let me know if lengua and shortbread are actually the same though. Haha. It's buttery and not too sweet with a crumbly surface, yet chewy center.

There you have it peeps - Scottish Shortbread. A simple cookie recipe to try, especially if you are new to the whole baking thing. ;)

Scottish Shortbread with Chocolate Drizzle and Powdered Sugar


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...