Sunday, November 3, 2013

Read: Baking as a Happy Pill

Just moments ago, I came across this article in Yahoo! talking about how baking helps people who are going through a rough time, and I just could  not resist myself from sharing. This is just a good simple read.

The Independent in the UK reports that baking could emerge "as a form of pill-less Prozac," at least according to John Whaite, last year's winner of the hit UK television series "The Great British Bake Off." In a report issued Monday for Real Bread Campaign, a nonprofit organization promoting artisan baking, Whaite calls for more people "suffering from mental health issues, or who are simply going through a tough time, to get the chance to try their hand at baking real bread to see how it could help them." - an excerpt from the article "Can Baking Make You Happy".

Source: http://ph.she.yahoo.com/baking-happy-122920401.html


Personally, I agree to this article. The moment I start to bake is the time that everything else around me disappears in my head and I find myself in that "happy place" - a calm and controlled environment where I am the master (best for people like me who's had anxiety attacks). Every step in baking a cookie, or cupcake, helps to build focus (again, best for someone like me who thinks a lot about random things). Aside from these, baking also brings me the feeling of achievement being able to make delicious treats out of a bunch of simple ingredients - it makes me appreciate myself more (which helps boost confidence).

As you could see, the results of baking are very much rewarding to one's self - both for the person making, and the person eating - and happy mind and tummy! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...